When building an Automatic Sequence, one can choose to allow participants to re-enter the same Sequence more than once. Reminder: when using email actions in the Sequence, this can result in the same email content being sent to a participant more than once.
Enabling Re-Entry Per Sequence
In the Sequence Details section of the Sequence Builder, toggle Enable Sequence Entry to On. This option only appears when working with an Automatic Sequence.
Conditions Where a Participant Will Re-Enter
Participants will only return to a Sequence when the following conditions are met:
- The Sequence is Automatic
- The Sequence has re-entry enabled
- The Participant completed every action in the Sequence
- Participants manually removed from a Sequence will not be re-added since they likely still match Entrance Criteria (this prevents unintentional repeat messaging to the Participant)
- The Participant still matches the Entrance Criteria
- The Participant does not match the Exit Criteria
Conditions Where a Participant Will Not Re-Enter
Participants will not return to a Sequence if:
- The Sequence is Manual
- The Sequence is Automatic but re-entry is not enabled
- The Participant exited the Sequence prior to completing all Sequence Actions
- The Participant no longer matches the Entrance Criteria
- The Participant matches the Exit Criteria
If any of the above is true and you want the Participant to re-enter the same cadence, it's best practice to Clone the Sequence, give the Clone a new name (such as prepended with Second Attempt) and add the participants to the new Clone. This will ensure no repeat messaging is ever sent to a Participant.